Ramanagara was a small village on the Banks of River Arkavati before the British; under Sir Barry Close came to Ramanagara. Due to the presence of Ramagiri Hill adjacent to the village, the village was also called as “SHIVARAMAGIRI”.
After the death of Tippu Sultan, in the historic fourth Mysore war during the year 1799, the hold of the Mysore dynasty was lost and the British were in complete control of the Mysore dynasty. During this time the famous British Officer Sir Barry Close stayed in the hills of Ramagiri for some time. In remembrance of his visit to the Ramagiri Hills, the city was named as “CLOSEPET” as a token of gesture and this has been carved on one of the stones in the Closepet Street. Even today we can see this stone on the street.
In the year 1800, Ramagiri village was named as “CLOSEPET” to honour the British Officer Sir Barry Close. In 1949, it has been named as “RAMANAGARA”. Ramanagara has more hillocks than land area and all these hills are brownish soft granite stones. Because of this type of special granites available here, these granite stones are famous the world over as “CLOSEPET GRANITES”.
Milestones in the history of Ramanagara
- 1800 – In remembrance of British Officer Sir Barry Close, it was named as“CLOSEPET”
- 1801 – Famous English Historian Francis Bukanin visited Ramanagara
- 1827 – Taluk status given to Closepet
- 1884 – Sub-division status to Closepet and Channapatna, Kanakapura and Magadi came under the jurisdiction of Closepet
- 1893 – Government General Hospital was started in Motinagar
- 1927 – Mahatma Gandhiji visited Ramanagara
- 1928 – Electricity was made available to the Town
- 1931 – District Court was established
- 1936 – Health Office was established
- 1937 – Water facility was made available to the citizens
- 1956 – Assistant Executive Engineer’s Office was established
- 1975 – The place became world famous as “Ramghad” after the shootingof movie “SHOLAY”
- 27-Oct-2007 – Included in the Karnataka State Map as the 28th District